1.07.2006

I'm Back

Yesterday, after one easy flight, another extremely long flight, and finally one nearly-missed flight, I've come home from my visit to Hamburg to see Anni and meet her family. I was there for 10 days, and it was really, really enjoyable. Being with Annika in an environment free from the demands of school was wonderful, and her family is really quite nice. Her parents were extremely generous and kind, and I enjoyed meeting Anni's friends in Hamburg.

This was the first time I had been to the north of Germany, and it was really pretty interesting being there - quite a lot different from the northern part of Bavaria I had grown accustomed to while living in Wuerzburg the summer before last. The biggest (and most obvious) difference is that Hamburg is a sea town. I'll put up some pictures from the city in a bit, when I get around to it.

Also, Germans really know how to celebrate New Year's Day. It mostly involves drinking and partying with friends on Silvester (New Year's Eve), drinking a warm, spicy drink that is prepared by pouring flaming rum over a sugar cone into the concoction, and setting off fireworks. Then, on New Year's Day, we ate a late lunch, watched some concerts on television, ate some Berliners (the jelly doughnuts, not the people), had a wonderful dinner, and then lit the candles on the Christmas tree.

So yea, it was a fun, relaxing, and pleasant time. I feel ready to get back to the grindstone. Till next time.

No comments: