2.15.2006
My Law School Manifesto
My law school philosophy and what it involves: It involves abandoning the idea that my self-worth is dependent on how well I do in law school. It involves believing in myself, and being assured that no matter what, no matter what my grades, I will find a job and have a decent career in something, and that a JD will help that. It involves understanding that a negative outlook on law school only hinders me and my ability to work. If I dread classes and work, then I will never start to understand. It involves accepting the positives of law school: the prestige it offers, the self discipline it teaches, the toughness it imbues, and the knowledge (however arcane) it gives. It involves developing a tough enough skin and a strong enough psyche to accept that less than perfect grades in law school are good, and that even getting into law school is an accomplishment in itself. It involves reassuring myself that there is more to myself than just my academic ability, and that true growth doesn't really happen when something is easy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I guess the other thing is that if you really hate law school you might hate being a lawyer. And then, why are you in law school in the first place?
Congrats on the great new outlook :)
Who says that having a law degree means being a lawyer? I don't wanna be a big firm lawyer anyways. I just want the degree, and the education. Honestly, a JD opens up a lot more opportunity than a BA in philosophy from Hillsdale College.
(BTW, I've stopped hating law school...it's sorta a Zen-like feeling of acceptance. Ha, I've accepted law school, so now I'm no longer afraid of it. Doesn't Zen work like that with death? Hmmm...maybe that philosophy degree was worth something after all.)
Post a Comment