11.06.2005

Learning Things

Law school has been hard. Frustration and overwork have become a normal, accepted part of my life. Yet I enjoy the challenge, and I always have that refrain running through my head, "At least I'm not at Hillsdale anymore". Thank God for that.

Speaking of Hillsdale, I took Annie down there a few weeks ago (as we sometimes do) to get away from Lansing and meet the family at the house for a little R&R. We went on campus, just to go to the snackbar and see people and profs. It was so strange being back. People didn't notice I was there until they took a double-take. It was nice seeing Stephens and a few other profs, I must admit. Nonetheless, I don't plan on heading back to that campus again anytime soon.

In good news, though, the pipe-band is apparently doing very well under new leadership. It made me very happy to hear that.

I realize I haven't been posting much lately. I've been very busy, and very uncontemplative as I do my best to get equitable estoppel and jurisdiction and Erie and a limitless number of other legal miscellanea into my mind, made a "part of my legal soul", as my contracts prof. always says when he feeling profound.

Oh, and I (along with the rest of my section) absolutely dislike my Torts professor. Berkeley educated. Hyphenated last name. Obsessed with public policy. Her specialty is environmental law. She'll call on people when she notices that they might not have read a certain case. She uses a first edition casebook that has no commercial outlines or aids to help us study. The casebook itself sucks. She can't lecture, and her powerpoint slides are useless. So, in essence, I don't understand why she is teaching torts. Alright, that's my gripe for the week.

I've realized important things about myself and my recent life lately, and Annika has helped a lot with that. She is very good for me. I'll be heading to Hamburg with her over Christmas break to meet her family.

All else is good.

3 comments:

Di said...

New pipe band leadership? What happened to DJ? I'm out of the old Hillsdale loop, although I myself will be heading there tomorrow in fact.

Judge373 said...

D.J.'s health had been getting worse and the band decided to find a new pipe major. Ian Maicey is the new guy - he's a Scotsman, and an excellent, well-known piper. Apparently the pipe band is growing by quite a lot now, and improving significantly. He used to run the Royal Air Force Pipe-Band, so I'm betting he's quite the taskmaster.

You went to some pipe-band ceilidhs, didn't you? He was always the skinny Scottish guy who sat in the corner with his wife.

Di said...

Yeah, I know who Ian is... that's cool that he's the new leader. Too bad about DJ, but that doesn't surprise me... between his arthritis and other issues, he didn't seem to be doing so well at times.